Sunday 4 July 2010

Oh to be in England!

I love the Summer. I truly thrive in warm sunshine and a gentle breeze. I love hanging my washing out on the line, knowing that it will dry quickly, smelling clean and cosy. I have been abroad during the Summer, but I can honestly say that I prefer an English Summer to the others that I have experienced.


This Summer, it has been exciting in England. With the World Cup looming, flags were hung outside people's windows and on their cars. Wimbledon brought on Murray Madness, as it did, Hopeful Henman Histrionics a few years ago. I've listened to a few radio discussions about national pride and the displaying of our national flag. I've heard people's disapproving comments, claiming flag owners and displayers are "chavy" or racist. I remember walking past various pubs during the 1998 World Cup, when I was at university, hearing chants of "En-ger-land!" and thinking how rowdy and "yobbish" it all was. What a snob I was!!

I am a massive fan of the TV adaptation of "The Darling Buds of May". I love hearing Pop Larkin, played by David Jason, as he explains the wonders of The Garden of England (Kent) to his new friend, Mr Charlton. "Can you imagine, Charlie my old man, a life without strawberries? No cream teas, no strawberries and cream? What about the plums, apples and cherries? No crumble? No lovely pies?" Summer in England wouldn't be the same without these things. In fact, England itself would not be the same.


After a few weeks of real Summer, I have noticed more and more of the things I love about England...
I love carnivals and village fairs.
I love cider, and apple pie with custard.
I love country gardens, and a jug of Pimms.
I love fish 'n' chips and the English seaside.
I love chickens and ducks in pretty country gardens, and picnics in the woods.
I love tombolas and maypole dancing.
I actually really love Morris dancers and thatched cottages.
I love old castles and Royal events. I love red London buses, and black London cabs.
I love the Queen's honours list and old, English showbiz stars.
I love Shakespeare and Chaucer.
I love beautifully-fragranced rose bushes and mighty oak trees.
I love the history and myth of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table.
I love foxes and badgers, blue tits and pigeons.
I love homemade jam and round ladies with rosey cheeks.
I love the sunshine, the snow, the rain and the wind.
I love the range of amazing accents of England and the different cultures I see every day.
I love the voice of Dame Vera Lynn, telling us we'll meet again, and the amazing photos of rationed street parties after World War Two.
There is so much more that I love about England. For all our complaints. For all of our English reserve, I love this country. I am a proud English girl and I love to explore our traditions and history and share them with other nations. I hope that we will soon develop a pride in our Englishness. A pride that causes us to include others in our celebration of all that it means to be English - victory, resourcefulness, community.
But in the meantime, I'll just hope, dream...and enjoy the gentle breeze and warm sunshine, as it drys my washing.




















No comments: