Monday 28 September 2009

Bruised and Scarred

This morning, in the bath, I made my daily examination of my foot. Three weeks ago, I fell done the stairs and sprained my foot. It remains rather painful and walking is still proving to be a bit difficult. A couple of days after hurting it, a rather interesting bruise appeared along the side of my foot. It was a dark red and purple colour and was rather small. I was a little disappointed at how small it was, in fact, as the pain considerably out-weighed the bruise!!! I love a bit of sympathy...A few days later, another, fainter bruise appeared across the top of my foot - it was a lovely canary yellow and rather big - I got quite a bit of sympathy for that one!!

As I examined my foot this morning, I saw other, newer bruises that had appeared on my shins. I can't quite recall how they came about, but as I touched them, they felt a little tender. I really do love a good bruise. I love the way it changes colour. At the age of 14, I had two wisdon teeth removed under general aneasthetic. I awoke with swollen cheeeks which quickly became very bruised. Initially that lovely deep red and purple, and then the greeny-yellowy hew that moves across and makes it look really bad...fantastic!!

Bruises get so much attention from others. My dear friend, Wendy experienced this when her youngest son, Theo, fell over and bashed his forehead, whilst on holiday in Seattle. A large bump appeared on his head, followed by two blacks eyes which caused people on the street to gasp as they walked by! Poor Wendy was almost refused access as they boarded the plane, on the return journey. "Has your child been seen by a doctor?" asked the cabin crew.

Last week, as I bought myself a coffee in Costa, I noticed that the lady behind me had a black eye. Immediately, my mind ran riot, wondering how it had happened, if she was the victim of domestic abuse, if she needed by help. Should I ask if she's ok? Should I write my number down and hand it to her as I leave?

You see, bruises are visible. They are signs that we have injured ourselves, that we have suffered. Bruises trigger a response from others, and usually one of sympathy and concern. When we are bruised, we get attention and often comfort.

This is the same as scars. I have quite a few scars, the biggest being my c-section scar. It's actually three scars in one!! All three of my children have made their way into the world via that scar. It's fairly well hidden, but it is a hugely important part of my body, and my life. I also have three small scars that came from an operation to remove my gall bladder. These are tiny and barely visible, but they have be shown to a number of people that I know, who are just about to embark on the same procedure and therefore, need some reassurance!!! Those scars show others that their suffering (have YOU ever had gall stones? OUCH!!!) will end.

I have a scar on the middle finger of my left hand. I made it by nearly sawing through my finger with a jigsaw, whilst at University. That scar helps me to talk about my degree in Theatre and is connected to a rather funny story of me not concentrating, talking too much, hurting myself and nearly fainting...It also helps me impress people with my wood-working experience!!!

I have a small scar on my right eyebrow which came from a childhood accident on my way home from church one Sunday. Not such an interesting story, but an amazing reminder of how God changes lives. It was my dad, and not my mum, that took me to the hospital that day. You see, my dad and I were at church together, but my mum was at home, because she was not a Chrstian. She did not believe in God or like the idea of organised religion at all. My mum is quite a different woman now - a committed and godly woman, who prays and reads her Bible every day, a woman who is sought out for advise and wisdom, and a faithful lover of Jesus. And so, that scar on my eyebrow reminds me of my mum's changed life.

Bruises heal and scars remain. Both provoke attention and can cause us to dwell on times of suffering. I know many who can show us both physical and emotional bruises and scars. Many of them seem unable to get past them, or to see the good in them. But others, however, insist on giving thanks to God for their past hurts, and for the ways that He has "seen them through" times of trial and suffering.

And so, as I look at the bruises on my "yet-to-heal" foot, I thank God that I still have my foot, that I have stairs to fall down, and that I have access to free, local health care. With my scars in mind, I thank God for my children, funny stories, and changed lives. You see, even though I am bruised and scarred, I am still alive. And, I am determined to enjoy every moment of the life that God has given me.

No comments: