Saturday 5 September 2009

Okay, so this morning, I was feeling productive...never too good!! Roo's room was the target, and in particular his cupboard.

It wasn't actually too bad. Soft toys, games, books and cassette tapes. I found my Orange Ted - he was given to me as a kid and is a proper 70's creation - very retro!! I also found my Buck's Fizz Greatest hits cassette - "The Camera Never Lies" and "Land of Make Believe" the highlights. The cupboard itself has history. My dad donated it to Roo. It had been his as a child and is actually a tall boy that matches the wardrobe that he gave to Dave and I, a while ago. The wardrobe had been in his parents' room as he'd grown up.

Four things that have spanned generations - a teddy bear, a cassette tape, a tall boy and a wardrobe. Why do I keep these things? What is it about them that makes them so precious to me? Precious memories of precious people. The smells of my childhood. The sounds of my childhood. The sights of my childhood. Why do I hold onto them?

I LOVE my life. I mean, REALLY love my life. I have a wonderful husband with whom I have a great time. My kids are fab...a bit mental, but fab. I love my house, am grateful for my car and my lovely new bed. I appreciate my friends and enjoy the wisdom of having lived my life so far. I do not fear middle age, old age or death. I look forward to God's plans for "the rest of it", so why do I look back by keeping hold of these things?

It's funny - I enjoy simple things...blackberry-picking, making things with my hands from scratch, reading, hearing and telling stories, eating with my family, the seaside, the countryside and laughing until it hurts.

Recently, I learnt to spin wool. I was at a village fair in Dorset and sat down with the Dorset Spinners for a chat. The ladies showed me and helped me. We talked about crafts from the past and about keeping traditions going. You know, some traditions are a bit odd, to be honest. Why do we throw pancakes up in the air? Why do we pull crackers at Christmas? Why do bash our glasses together and make "a toast"? Why's it called "a toast"?

I don't know and, to be honest, I don't really care. But I love to know about my past and my ancestors. I love to consider their lives and adventures and I love to pass things onto my children. These precious things, recipes, memories, activites, traditions and stories are essential to who I am and how I live. My past has made me who I am.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This is lovely, Sally. You shoudl keep doing it xxx