Saturday 26 September 2009

Friendship

Friendship is such a precious thing. It is a hugely important part of my life. I have many friends of all shapes, sizes, ages and kinds. I have friends who I laugh with, friends who I cry with, friends who I eat with, friends who I create with, friends who pray with me, friends who listen, friends who go that extra mile for me and friends I love to serve.

In this post, I shan't name any of my friends for fear of leaving someone out, but as I write about them, they'll know who they are.

As I child I had a few good friends who I played with. One friend and I once read the phonebook (we must have been bored!!) As we went through it, we looked for silly names, "Mr Willy" being the best discovery. We laughed so much that we could barely make any noise. I had another friend with whom I used to watch endless hours of The Cosby Show, Fame and Grease together. We would regularly treat ourselves to chocolate digestives with peanut butter smeared all over them. We were also fond of melting butter onto slices of bread by putting it into a new appliance that my parents didn't have, called a "microwave". Another friend and I were so close, as we had been friends virtually from birth, that we never argued and cried together once as we nearly did!!

At school I had a friend with whom I learnt to shop and dress in a way that showed my "individuality". She and I (ironically) had matching Kicker boots (before they were fashionable) and stripey tights. She moved away with her family and I mourned her leaving. Another friend always laughed at my jokes and made me feel so special. We'd write letters to each other when we were apart, despite the fact that we saw each other twice-a-week. She and her family moved to another town as her dad became the leader of another church. I was so sad when they left.

At around the same time, I met a friend who continues to be my best friend to his day. She and I loved New Kids on The Block, made hot chocolate and drope blocks of Galaxy chocolate into the cup. We camped together, holidayed together and shared amazing times. I remember waiting for her, while she had her first kiss, and her coming with me to wave off my first love at the airport, as he left the country. She was my bridesmaid and I was hers and my heart aches when I don't see her. I gave my daughter her name, as a middle name, and my children call her "Aunty". I adore her beautiful daughter and love her gorgeous, hilarious husband to bits. Her parents are like my second parents and I am so blessed to have her in my life. She knows who she is and if she's reading this, when shall we get together next? Give your gorgeous girl a kiss from Aunty Sal xxx

At Uni I had a some fab friends. A great flatmate who became an instant friend when our (then) boyfriends (her now husband!!) shared a house. We laughed and smoked our way through many packets of cigarettes together - thankfully, we've both since given up, and had kids and cats!!! My other favourite friend at Uni was like a fairy, drove a VW Beetle and introduced me to the best beach in Devon. She went off on great adventures in far away lands, and sold me her beloved Beetle, "Boop". Boop was my first car and it broke my heart to eventually sell her. I love my Fairy Friend.

As a future single mum, I found a loyal and faithful friend who loved me and my baby so much. She would pop round after work and help me to put Roo to bed when he was very little. She encouraged me to be strong and believe in myself and she set a great example of trusting in God and being thankful. I prayed for my friend every day, asking God to give her the deepest desires of her heart. I am so grateful to God that He blessed my friend, and did just that!! She was my bridesmaid and presented me with a beautiful (and tear-jerking) photo album on the eve of my wedding. She is far away and I miss her, but I love to see the life she now has. She is a great mum, as we all knew she would be...even if her tiny son did fall down the stairs the other day...it happens to us all, my faithful friend!

In hospital, I found a true forever friend. One who shared my passion for Big Brother, good cheese and liver!!! We shared the most special times together, the early births of our babies, and Craig Phillips winning the first series of everyone's favourite reality game show!!! She and I laugh together, and I jealously watch as her husband continues to grow far better veggies than me!!! My son loves her daughter, and I can tell that he always will. My friend, did I tell you that Roo has her photo in his locker at school? Awwww...unrequited love, eh?

Out of nowhere, I found a kindred spirit in my fiance's housemate. She and I clicked immediately when we'd a met a couple of years previously. We screamed like banshees at each other when we unexpectedly re-connected at a party. She was also my bridesmaid and was the most available friend ever. Even after we'd not seen each other for quite a while, she walked with me, days after I was diagnosed with depression and on that day, it was exactly what I needed.

As we made a significant move to a new church, one friend was kind and encouraging. She called me only a few weeks after we'd arrived, just to tell me how much everyone liked me. She always laughs at my jokes, blesses my family, loves my children unconditionally, and offers her help when I really need it, without being asked.
Another friend, makes herself continually vulnerable to me, without loading me with her problems. She is honest and earnest. She and I shared a room at a women's weekend away. We stayed up chatting until really late, talking about everything from shaving our legs and our greatest weaknesses, to raising our kids. She always looks beautiful and I LOVE her new hair!!! You know who you are - the colour is AMAZING!!!

My closest friend at church is also my "business partner". We have had an amazing time together. We've been on TV - TWICE, we drink far too much coffee, "deal with" each others' kids, phone each other just as our kids fall over or have a tantrum, and share our dreams - even the dodgy ones. We also went to the biggest let-down of a knitting shop in the world together!! She always points me back to Jesus and we pray together. She is so funny and such a hero - pregnant with her fourth child and trying to move house!! MADNESS!! She serves others in so many ways - making cakes for the elderly, listening to others big issues, looking after other people's kids, being an amazing wife!! I love her very much and appreciate God putting her in my life. Remember someone getting a bit "windy" in certain airport departure lounge? hee hee hee...

I have a friend who ,despite an horrendous year, still finds the time and energy to include me, encourage me and give me access to her wonderful children and amazing memories of her late husband. She runs a business, keeps house going, "manages" wider family, drives a huge motor home all over the country and has fantastic nails!! She is kind and gentle. She understands where others are coming from and is very forgiving. What an inspiration you are to me, my beautiful friend!! I am always here and grateful for your input into my life. AND, my children adore you.xxx

There are many more friends - my lovely listening friend, who is refreshingly real "for a leader's wife"(!!!),makes a great cuppa and whose mum makes the best Bakewell Tart I've ever tasted; My special friend whom I met whilst very poorly in hospital. Despite our pain and the age gap - she is in her 80's - we had so much fun. It HURT to laugh, but we managed it!!; My funny (and normal) friend with whom I had coffee with this week - no matter how much time it takes to get together, we always pick up where we left off, hey? "You're actually quite funny, aren't you?"; There's also the friend who was supposed to be there too - you missed out on the yum yums...and we missed out on you, Gorgeous Girl!!; My lovely friend who I was at school with. A single mum of three B>E>A>U>T>I>F>U>L daughters, who works so hard and keeps laughing - I really love you - "just pop it, pop it!!" Remember Hairspray and the night when I downed vodka, thinking it was water? Ewwwww...

To all of my friends - you are so special to me. Some of you, I do not see any more. Some of you, we have grown apart and there seems to be a barrier between us. No matter where you are, what you're doing or how you feel about me, you are precious. I have memories...that's enough.

2 comments:

Lel said...

Hey Sal
I am on a roll now I have signed up :-)))
Friends are precious and moving away from home and not knowing a new country or having to start again with new friends, makes you appreciate them more. The memories and bonds never fail or are forgotten. It has been a great journey reading your blogs too Sal, I have loved every one. Keep it up lovely girl

Pammy said...

Sal,
I was so priviledged to share such a scary & precious time with you.The birth of a first born is the start of a whole new chapter & I was so lucky to meet a kindred spirit.
Love you lovely lady xx